Managing employees also means managing risk. Unhappy employees may start legal actions; so may former employees. Issues can include discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, or complaints for back pay or overtime. Many business owners and managers do not have basic policies and procedures in place to protect their business in such cases. Implementing some simple personnel policies will greatly reduce the risk of costly litigation.
Questions to guide you
- Do I have an “employment at will” statement?
- Do I have an Employee Handbook?
- Do I have legally required labor law posters in a prominent place?
- Do I have a Progressive Discipline policy?
- Do I document employee performance?
- Do I train my managers in the basics of communication and handling employee concerns?
- Do I have Employment Practices Liability Insurance?
Implementing these policies will reduce your risk exposure and potential costs. We can create a customized Employee Handbook, audit your existing HR practices and implement updates, and help you to manage your employee performance.
See our Services page for more on how we can help you.